The decision to build a new fireplace and chimney can be difficult. Many homeowners become torn on the choice between a masonry or prefabricated system. While masonry chimneys are more durable and last longer, they also have a heftier price tag. Likewise, prefabricated systems are easy to install and maintain, but have a significantly shorter lifespan. This difficult decision making process can lead some homeowners to forgoing a new fireplace altogether.
Homeowners shopping for new fireplaces now have a third option. This option combines the durability of masonry with the ease of installation and cost savings of prefabricated. Isokern fireplaces and chimneys are modular masonry systems, giving homeowners more choices than ever before when installing a new fireplace.
What is an Isokern Fireplace?
Built in Chesapeake, Virginia, Isokern Fireplaces are modular masonry fireplace systems. Made using volcanic stone mined from the Hekla volcano in Iceland, these fireplace and chimney systems provide the insulation and refractory properties of masonry, without the bulk and weight.
Isokern chimney systems are unique from many other prefabricated fireplaces in that they use a dual modular refractory chimney. This chimney design uses both an inner liner and outer casing to maximize insulation and minimize heat transfer. This design feature allows more flexibility in building and installation.
Advantages of Isokern chimneys and fireplaces:
There are a number of advantages to installing a new Isokern fireplace system in your home.
- Faster installation. Because Isokern fireplaces are modular, they can be installed – and enjoyed – faster than masonry built chimneys.
- Stable response to heat. The pumice of the volcanic stone used to build Isokern fireplaces has an extremely stable response to heat and does not expand and contract during use. This makes the fireplaces extremely durable and able to last for years to come.
- Custom finishes. After installation, your Isokern fireplace can be finished with a number of different materials to match your home. These styles include brick, stone, tile, and stucco.
- Zero clearance building. The dual modular refectory chimney allows for zero clearance installation next to combustible materials. This gives homeowners more flexibility in deciding where they want their new fireplace to be.
- Indoor and outdoor installation. Unlike many other modular units, Isokern fireplaces can be installed both indoors and outdoors. This offers maximum flexibility for homeowners. In addition, they can help make an outdoor fireplace more affordable. Just like indoor units, outdoor Isokern fireplaces can be finished with different building materials to create a custom look.
Let Coopertown Services install your new Isokern fireplace!
Deciding between a masonry and prefabricated chimney can be a difficult decision. With an Isokern fireplace and chimney, however, homeowners can get the best of both worlds! At Coopertown Services, our expert masons are trained to build, install, service, and maintain Isokern fireplace systems.
When installed correctly and regularly maintained, these fireplaces can provide your family with heat, warmth, and comfort for years to come. For more information on installing an Isokern fireplace and chimney in your home, contact Coopertown Services today!