We rely on our fireplaces to heat our homes and create a warm and welcoming ambiance; we also expect them to burn and vent safely while they are in use. However, damage from a variety of causes can make our chimneys unsafe to use, turning the fireplaces from a useful heating appliance into a solely decorative focal point. If your chimney is no longer safe to use because of damage from the elements, a chimney fire, disrepair or disuse, or other natural disasters, major chimney repairs may be the answer.
Restoring, Renovating, or Rebuilding Chimneys
The three most common types of repairs to damaged chimneys are restorations, renovations, and complete rebuilds. The kind of repairs that your chimney needs will rely on a number of factors including the age of the chimney, the extent of the damage, or prior repairs.
– Restoration. Restoration is the best option for fireplaces and chimneys that are still structurally sound and functional – but may not be living up to their former glory. Cleaning the masonry, adding new accessories, or upgrading chimney parts such as the chimney cap can all help restore historic or well loved fireplace systems to their original beauty.
– Renovation. Do you prefer sleek, contemporary lines yet are stuck with a traditional, wood burning fireplace? Fireplace renovations help your fireplace fit in with the rest of the home’s décor. Likewise, installing an easy to use, energy efficient insert can allow homeowners to switch fuel sources within an existing fireplace system.
– Rebuild. A chimney rebuild is a major project – but will add major value to your home in the long run. Tearing down the old chimney and rebuilding may be the safest option for those damaged beyond repair. This could be in the event of chimney fires, natural disasters, or after years of disrepair. A CSIA-ceritifed chimney sweep can help you through every step of the process, from evaluating the old chimney to designing and building the fireplace system of your dreams.
Now is the Perfect Time for Chimney Repairs!
With long days and hot temperatures outside, few homeowners use their fireplaces during the summer. That makes this the perfect season to have major repairs done on your chimney! The following are three reasons to address your chimney repairs this summer.
1. Unaffected fireplace use. Waiting until fall or winter for fireplace repairs hinders your ability to use your fireplace during said repairs.
2. Better appointment times. Because summer is typically a low season for chimney sweeps, repairs can be scheduled with shorter wait times. Likewise, homeowners are more likely to be able to get an appointment time that works with their schedule.
3. Fewer delays. Warm temperatures, mild weather, and longer days help chimney repairs get done more quickly than they do in other times of the year.
Don’t let another year go by without addressing your chimney’s repairs. Contact Coopertown Services today to schedule your next chimney appointment or to discuss how we can help repair your chimney!